March 17, 2016

Lava Flow Bundt Cake - #BundtBakers




Ah, the tropical vacation.  Toes in the sand, beautiful aqua-blue water, tiki drink in hand - perfection. I am extremely lucky to call Hawaii home, so I guess in some ways I am always on a tropical vacation.

This month's theme for #BundtBakers is Tropical Vacation.  Of course a staycation is quite popular here in the islands, and many people celebrate pau hana on a Friday afternoon with a drink on the beach.  When thinking of what flavors to incorporate into my cake I immediately thought of one of my favorite drinks, the Lava Flow. This cocktail incorporates two flavors synonymous with Hawaii - pineapple and coconut, and throws in some banana and a splash to strawberry for good measure. It tastes just like a smoothie, but don't be fooled as they pack a punch and usually contain two kinds of rum.






After making this cake, I realized that I would love to have more time to experiment with my own flavors, as I really enjoyed tweaking the cake into something all my own. I also wish that I had not been sick for the past two weeks, and I had been able to work a little more on the cake and the photos, but it is what it is. All in all I thought the cake had a great flavor, and the frosting, well I could have eaten that with a spoon.  And I just may have done so.  It was funny because the first time I made the frosting I added a couple of drops of red coloring, which resulted in a Pepto-Bismol pink. I wanted it to look like lava but that was ridiculous, and I decided that regardless of the color I would much prefer to just have real strawberries in it, and therefore my "lava" is pale pink.  I think Madam Pele would be ok with that.






If you would like to know more about #BundtBakers and see what the other bakers made for the Tropical Vacation theme please scroll down below the recipe. Thank you to Christiane from The Mom Chef: Taking on Magazines for hosting this month and choosing the theme.

Lava Flow Bundt Cake
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
Cake ~
  • 265g cups hulled strawberries
  • 30ml Malibu rum
  • 175g sticks butter
  • 205g sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 425g cake flour
  • 12g baking powder
  • 3g salt
  • 55g sour cream
  • 165g coconut cream
  • 5ml vanilla
  • 567g can crushed pineapple, well drained
  • 70g sweetened flake coconut
  • 2 ripe bananas
Frosting ~
  • 110g powdered sugar
  • 170g cream cheese, softened
  • 75ml strawberry puree
  • 30ml coconut cream

Preparation
Cake ~
  1. Puree the strawberries and Malibu in a blender or food processor, set aside.
  2. Preheat the oven to 180℃.
  3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl, set aside
  4. Add the sour cream, coconut cream, and vanilla to a bowl and whisk to combine, set aside.
  5. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat sugar and butter at low speed until light and fluffy - about 5 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
  6. Add the eggs one at a time, beating just until they are incorporated.
  7. Add the dry ingredients, alternating with the coconut cream mixture and the flour mixture, starting and ending with the flour, making sure not to over mix.
  8. Place the bananas in a blender or food processor and puree.
  9. Add flaked coconut, crushed pineapple, and banana puree to batter and mix until fully incorporated.
  10. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan (I sprayed with Baker's Joy).
  11. Pour half of the cake batter into the cake pan, spreading it evenly with a spatula.
  12. Place about 75ml of strawberry puree over the cake batter and gently swirl with a knife or a chopstick.
  13. Gently spoon the remaining batter in the pan, and then place another 75ml of strawberry puree on top and swirling as above.
  14. Bake for 60 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted deep into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in the pan, then carefully invert onto a cake plate.
Frosting ~
  1. Sift powdered sugar into a large bowl.
  2. Add cream cheese, strawberry puree, and coconut cream and beat until fully combined.
  3. Spoon over cooled cake, allowing frosting to gently spill over the sides.

Recipe by All That's Left Are The Crumbs, inspired by Marshmallows & Margaritas

For US measurements please click here



BundtBakers


#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving Bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all of our lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest Board. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient.

Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers can be found on our homepage.  And now it is time for you to check out all of the Tropical Vacation bundts that the #BundtBakers came up with this month ~



8 comments:

  1. I think I need to try both lava flows now; the drink and this cake. If it tastes just like a smoothie, I'm all in. I think the cake looks absolutely delicious and would be perfect with my morning coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum.The glaze looks really great on this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this sounds phenomenal and so super tropical! I love that final shot of the (almost) clean plate too! Always such a great sign of a delicious cake! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woooow, love the addition of the stawberries with the malibu. And in the cake also, lots of tropical ingredients, what a great looking cake! Love the last pic of the crumbs ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are feeling better. I love a cake that tastes like a tummy smoothie with a punch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It may not look like lava but it is one "hot" looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect cake for the theme. I really wanted to see lava flowing into the ocean on my birthday trip to HI a few years ago, but the flow stopped a couple of days before our hike.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, that cocktail sounds lovely as does your bundt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.